Friday, January 30, 2009

A man among women.

I spend most of every day surrounded by females. At the office, I manage a staff of four - all women. My boss is a woman. At home: my wife Sarah, my girls Allie, Em & Anna. During the week we have mother-in-law Sheila stay with us. That's a 5 to 1 ratio at home and at work!

Sarah will tell you that when she asked me if I wanted to start a blog, I responded with soemthing like "...it's a chick thing, isn't it?" Blogging, in general, may not be a chick thing, but I bet, if I were to get the demographics of the readers of my blog posts, it would be at least a 4 to 1 women to men ratio. I do realize the ratio is somewhat skewed because many readers have arrived on my blog via either TC or Sarah's blog, which are female dominated. However, the fact of the matter is, even when I am on the internet, I am "surrounded" by women!

Being a male among females isn't necessarily a bad thing - some men cannot get a woman to say hello to them! Ha ha ha... So, for the record: I'm not complaining, I'm just taking note of the facts. Remember, I grew up in a family of ten boys and three girls so its not like I haven't gotten into, nor seen my share of stuff that boys and men get into. Just ask my mother!

So, given that I am constantly in the company of women, I try to remain vigilant of how my time is spent. An occasional episode of Jon & Kate Plus Eight, The Bacheleor, or What Not To Wear is OK. Conversations with Sarah about so and so's pregnancy or so and so's children is also OK. Maybe even flipping through a People magazine could also be viewed as harmless. I also do the stereotypical "guy" stuff like flip through the depressing, boring Wall Street Journal, clear the snow in the driveway, take out the trash, lift weights...alright maybe I haven't been working out too much lately but I do exercise!

Anyway...I have been poking around the internet a bit and have found blogs written by fathers of triplets, which may help get the female to male ratio more toward a balanced ratio.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

Yup, I'm just another female reading along!!

Kris said...

May I suggest a label?
"I am a lucky man!"
lol
I keep telling Dad the same thing ~ he hold you responsible for adding to his "girl" trouble w/ the girls next door ;)