Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 In Review (abbreviated version).

The last day of the year...what better time to take a quick look back at 2008. I say "quick" because I could write a short story, or maybe even a book, about the past year for my family.

In the first quarter (sorry, it's the accountant in me) of 2008, we became somewhat settled into our new home. Our old home had been for sale for about six months. Grammy and Sarah were home with the girls while I finished up my time at Big Worldwide Financial Institution. I had learned earlier in 2007 that I would be getting laid off. My time at BWFI ends mid-February so we have one adult per baby while I am home. Here's a cute picture of the girls taken in February 2008 (standing, but not yet walking):

Q2 2008 we celebrate our girls' first birthday, a momentous event. Very few people know or will ever realize just how big of a deal it was for us to celebrate their first birthday. Conceiving identical triplets is rare. Giving birth to identical triplets is even more rare. To have identical triplets survive is extremely rare. We are blessed.

Spring arrives and the real estate market is still dead, so we make the decision to rent our previous home. It ends up being a very time-consuming, stressful, yet interesting process. Memorial Day weekend our new tenants move in. We are extremely pleased with the tenants occupying the house into which we put so much sweat equity.


On June 4th, we have a mass said for Abigail, who would have turned two in June. A few close family members joined us for breakfast after the mass at a local establishment known for its breakfast. It was a big deal - the first time the girls had dined out!

The goal for me was to take a few weeks off and look for work. I go on interviews, talk to head-hunters and network while I help care for the girls, maintain a house and Sarah and I try to maintain our sanity.

Moving on to Q3, both Sarah and I accept jobs, reluctantly. For Sarah, this is huge- going to a new job after everything that has occurred over the previous two years. I accept a position in a similar role to the one I held at BWFI. Grammy has the girls by herself all day (and does just fine). I train for, and run the Falmouth Road Race for the 12th consecutive year. Sarah, Grammy and my daughters come to see me run. I am happy with my time, all things considered, finishing the 7.1 mile race in about 58 minutes.


The fall and early winter of 2008 brought some long work days for Sarah, but also fun holidays with the girls. Here are the girls in their Halloween costumes:
Here's another photo from the fall:


October November and December have flown by. Here is one of my favorite photos from the 4th qtr of 2008:

The girls development seems to have hit stride with new words, new facial expressions or new dance moves coming every day. We have now been in our new home for over a year and look forward to the nice weather in the spring and summer. The girls will be much more mobile this coming year and will really be able to enjoy the outdoors! (Great for Sarah & I too.)
We have a BIG day coming up at the end of January. I pray justice will be served.

Have a happy and joyous New Year.

3 comments:

Kris said...

Pretty cool my friend!!! It will be fun now to see the two sides (mom/dad) of the coin and raising triplets. I am sure you have your hands full:) When is Grammy going to start posting?
I enjoyed reading back. Sarah is correct, you are a good writer. I look forward to reading both your blogs now.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

pyjammy pam said...

oh yay, i like this! can't wait to read along. you don't get many blogs from the dad's perspective.

Nicole O'Dell said...

Sooo cute! I love the idea of following a blog written by a dad. Have fun!