Thursday, April 26, 2012

Kind and Merciful

I have been drained beyond belief today.  This is nothing new.  But today is different.

Sarah and I attended funeral services for the brother of my sister-in-law.  He was about my age and died suddenly.  I had met J a few times and he played in my family's annual Thanksgiving day football game a couple of times, but I really didn't know him well. 

I do however, consider myself close to my sister-in-law, my brother, and my brother's children who are grieving the loss of a good man.  My nephew is especially hit hard by the loss.  J was like an older brother to my nephew.

When I attend services for the deceased I listen more attentively to the priest (or pastor) than I normally would at church. 

He spoke about God being Kind and Merciful.

I meditated on those words this morning and prayed that J's family finds peace (sometime...somewhere) in their hearts.  J's death has hit me hard, considering that I did not know him very well at all.

I cannot imagine the road of feelings and emotions which lie ahead for my nephew and niece, my sister-in-law, my brother, and the rest of the family and friends left to work through the feelings swirling about inside of them.

The Lord is Kind and Merciful.

Rest in Peace J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for you loss.