Thursday, August 2, 2012

On (and off) the beam.

The title of this post refers to the spiritual beam, not the balance beam we have been hearing about the past several days.

In the past I have prouded myself on being “on the beam” spiritually. Unfortunately, when I am off the beam, I do not even realize it. Life takes over and I get caught up with making a few extra dollars or I get overly concerned about keeping up with how others perceive me. I suddenly cannot find the time to pray, meditate or take a deep breath and clear my mind.

Today, out of nowhere, the serenity prayer entered my mind. It was just what I needed:

God Grant Me the Serenity


To Accept the Things I Cannot Change


Courage to Change the Things I Can


And the Wisdom to Know the Difference


For me, the things I cannot change = other people.  And the things I can change = myself.

I certainly hope I am moving toward more serenity and less mental chaos.  

In other news...I've been having fun over the past few months spending some alone time with Allie, Anna and Emily.  Here's a picture from our outing yesterday:
 

No comments: