Thursday, March 25, 2010

40 something year old triplet dad goes back to school.

Having placed second in several great job opportunities, I decided I need three letters after my name. MBA. Six letters actually - MBA, CPA. So I took a GMAT exam preparation course, then the GMAT exam(twice), obtained letters of recommendation and researched schools based on reputation, convenience and affordability (my employer reimburses, but it is maxed). I applied to the university from which I had earned my undergraduate degree. They accepted me.

So, here I am. Over a year after I started the process,s I am enrolled and taking my second graduate level class in my second semester. Only one class. With twenty years since I obtained my undergraduate degree and three soon-to-be 3 year-olds at home, one class is enough.

My first class went great. It was hyped by the University to be difficult - almost like a right of passage into the program. The class consisted of a big team project, which consumed quite a bit of time outside of class. I kept telling Sarah "I just need to pass". Long story short is I ended the class with an "A-". Thank you very much.

On to class #2 this semester. The difference is like night and day. This math class I had heard was "fairly easy". I walk into the class - there were nine students. NINE. My first class had 38. The class starts and the instructor is all business and says "let's go to the lab". So our classes are held in a building on the other side of the campus in a computer lab in the basement. With 8 other students. No where to hide.

Long story short: I am struggling in this class. My grade on the mid-term was the second lowest in the class. The professor wrote "talk to me" on my exam. NOT GOOD. When I got my grade I immediately second guessed my decision to return to school. "What am I doing?" I thought to myself.

I have been deflated. Both my enthusiasm for school and my self-esteem are currently lying at the bottom of a shallow, dried up river somewhere in the middle of Australia. Let's hope I am able to retrieve them.

No comments: